My interest in Animal Machinery started when I got a puppy (Zack) and noticed he would watch television with me in the mornings while getting ready. I was amazed at how technology that was made for me and integrated into my life slowly started to merge into my pets. He would regularly wag his tail in excitement if he heard me talking to someone on Skype he recognized or run to the screen to watch dogs barking. After talking to other pet owners I soon realized that this was not unheard of and my interest sparked to what caught my dog’s attention to cause this interaction. With a background in Human Computer Interaction (HCI) and Computing, with a Bachelors of Science (Bsc), for my Masters research I wanted to focus upon something I was passionate about and this opened up the currently evolving rabbit warren of ACID.
- ACI@BHCI 2015 – Animal Computer Interaction @ British Human Computer Interaction
- ACI at Measuring Behaviour 2016
- Where HCI meets ACI 2016 – Human Computer Interaction meets Animal Computer Interaction at NordiCHI 2016.
- 2nd International Congress on Animal Computer Interaction held at Advanced Computer Entertainment (ACE)
- CHI 2014/15
- SI:ACI International Journal of Human-Computer Studies (IJHSC): Expert Reviewer
- ACI@BHCI: Meta Reviewer.
- 2nd International Congress on Animal Computer Interaction: Expert Reviewer.
- British HCI 2016 Conference.
- Measuring Behaviour Conference 2016
- IDC 2016 – Interaction Design and Children Conference
- 3rd International Congress on Animal Computer Interaction: Expert Reviewer
- Spoke on BBC1 Radio about my research and women in technology representing W-ACM (women in ACM).
- Written an essay article for The Conversation news on my research field, which got reported in The Independant News, Psy News, iNews, Down to Earth, NewStateman Tech, Epoch Times, 3tags among others. This article has also been translated to german for Netziloten Magazin.
- Interviewed on BBC Radio Lancashire about my research on 7th July 2016.
- Spoke at UXPA (User Experience Professional Association) in London about how to design for non-verbal users in relation to gathering requirements for dog users on February 2016 UK UXPA event.
Companies Collaborated with:
- Helped pet food brand Wagg design a dog TV remote for dogglebox which was reported widely in the newspapers and online on 3rd July in the Daily Mail, Mirror, Daily Star and Sunday People and online in Huffington Post, Yahoo News, Digital Spy, Broadcaster Magazine, techtree, shields gazette, Sunderland echo, Hartlepool mail, Yorkshire Post (and updated here), cnet, homecrux, dnaindia, oddity central, design week, India TV, Times of India, Branding Forum, Francais Express, Chad, About Manchester, PetsMag, Business Standard, The Inquisitr among others. This new story has also been translated into polish on Kopalnia Wiedzy, Chinese on China Daily, Portuguese in JC online, Italian in Software Zone (SWZ), Slovanina in Slovenske Novice, Spanish in El Norte, French in ubergizmo and Lithuanian on Lrytas among others.
Please do contact me if you would like talk about any of my work or subject area. To see my publications click here.
LinkedIn: Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas
Research Gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ilyena_Hirskyj-Douglas